The Mission San Miguel, that has the nickname, "Mission on the Highway," has been beautifully restored, ready to withstand any future earthquake. One if its features that it is known for is The Mission Arcade, made up of a series of 12 arches. In the courtyard, just outside of the arches is a lovely fountain and fish pool.
Built in the Queen Anne style, with a healthy dose of Spanish influence, the length of the church sanctuary is 144 feet, 27 feet wide and 40 feet high. The ceiling has very long, large wooden planks, the width of the sanctuary. The sanctuary still has its lovely original artwork by Esteban Munras. Near the altar, the early friars who served here are buried in the church floor. Above the alter, is a beautiful art piece, known as Ojo de Dios; the eye of God, original to the building.
The other buildings are used as a museum, with mission artifacts on display, showing how life was during the mission years for the Franciscan Friars and the people. The Padre's quarters includes a living room, a bed room, a dining room, and a kitchen.
There is also a gift shop that generates some income, and where visitors can buy tickets for a tour of the museum. The cemetery is located on the outside right wall of the sanctuary. It is guarded by a bronze statue of Christ that originally was inside the church. There is a book of burials, that lists 2,249 names of Indians who were buried here. The first burial dates back to 1798, just one year after it was first established. Father Joseph Mut, who was the Parish Priest from 1886-1889 was also buried here.
Return to top
Entering the Mission San Miguel Graveyard.
The Mission San Miguel was named for Archangel Saint Michael and was founded in 1797 by Spanish Franciscan Friar Father Fermin Francisco de Lasuen. This mission was built to bridge the gap in service between Mission San Antonio to the north and its southern sister church, Mission San Luis Obispo.
The Mission San Miguel has experienced fire, major changes in government, secular use, a murderous massacre, years of use and a major earthquake. Yet, Mission San Miguel has survived as a church, making a difference in its community.
In 1797, a temporary church was opened, serving the spiritual needs of the local native Americans, the Salinans. Father Buenaventura Sitjar and Father Juan Martin were the Franciscan Fathers in charge tasked to be shepherds for the people. On opening day, 25 youths were baptized into the faith. By 1806, more than a thousand Salinans were living and working at the mission.
Besides serving the people, the good Friars also set up a wine-making room and started the wine industry in San Luis Obispo County. They made some income by trading wine for other needed items with the other missions in California. The Indians also learned how to make wine; a very useful skill. They also raised sheep and weaved the wool into blankets and clothing. They were all protected by mission guards who were part of the Spanish military presence in California.
However, this first mission church was burned to the ground in 1806. So, it was back to the drawing board. Twenty-seven huts were built to be the living quarters for the Indians. "A granary (65 feet long), a storage and carpenter room (42½ feet long) and a sacristy (23½ feet long) were constructed in 1808. In 1810, a house (61½ feet square) was constructed at Rancho La Playa at San Simeon."
Tiles and adobe blocks were made and stored, waiting for the stone foundation to be laid in 1816. Seven years later, Mission San Miguel was rebuilt and completed with the inside frescos designed by Esteban Munras. Mission San Miguel served the native people until Mexico won its independence from Spain in 1834.
Unfortunately, in 1834, the Spanish Franciscan Friars were exiled by the new independent Mexican government, and Mission San Miguel was no longer a church but a secular building, with a civilian administrator in charge of it. The Salinan people went back to their native lands, though some stayed and found employment, using the skills they had learned at the Mission San Miguel.
The new president of Mexico decided to sell all the California missions to private parties. Business partners, Petronillo Rios and William Reed bought the Mission San Miguel in 1846. Soon afterwards, the Mexican-American War broke out, and Mexico lost California to the Americans in an 1848 treaty.
Both Petronillo Rios and William Reed now owned the property. William Reed and his family took possession of the mission buildings; using some buildings as a personal residence and opening an inn for travelers and trading post, with the only acceptable payment being gold. Any other payment wasn't acceptable, because California was in limbo-land, no longer part of Mexico and only a territory of America.
Paper money from either country was worthless. Both William and Petronillo hoped to gain from the California Gold Rush going on in California. Gold nuggets were the monetary standard that was used to buy what was needed. The mistake that Rios and Reed made in their business plan was not having any kind of security there, and this flaw in their thinking brought some deadly, dire consequences. For two years, their plan to gain gold as payment worked wonderfully, until they experienced what every inn owner dreads; the inevitable stay from the ultimate guests from hell on the evening of December 4th, 1848.
Six men of bad character spent the night at their inn. Joseph Peter Lynch was an army deserter, Peter Raymond was an escaped convict running from yet another murder. These two had previously killed two American prospectors, taking their gold. They had teamed up with two British navy deserters, Peter Quin, and Peter Remer, who jumped ship in San Francisco. The other two morally inept members of this unholy group were narcissist Sam Bernard and an American Indian, called John; both with a violent criminal pasts as well.
Besides paying with gold, this group of men also sold their stolen gold to William Reed in his trading post, probably trading it for things they needed as well. One source said that Mr. Reed had bragged to these creeps about all the gold he had made from his inn. The six men left for San Marcos on the morning of the 5th, but decided to come back and take by force Reed's gold and kill everyone there; leaving no witnesses. They came back and asked to stay the night again, and of course this request was honored.
On the fateful evening of December 5th, 1848, everyone breathing and one still in the womb were brutally murdered by these sorrowful examples of the human race. An ax, a cutlass and a knife had been used to kill not only the members of the Reed family, but the other guests and servants as well. Their list of victims were: William Reed; his wife, Maria Antonia Vallejo, who was expecting a baby very soon; their 4-year old son; a brother-in-law; Jose Ramon Vallejo; the mid-wife, Josefa Olivera, who was brought there to deliver Mrs. Reed's baby; the 15-year old daughter and the 4 year old grandson of Martin Olivera; a Negro cook; an Indian sheep-herder and his 4 year old grandson.
Eleven people were killed in all, counting the unborn child, who was soon to join them. They started with Mr. William Reed as they sat around the campfire with him. Bernard attacked him several times with an ax, while native American John stabbed him with a knife. They continued on, killing the other victims after stalking and catching them; even killing a little four year old Indian boy; grandson of the Indian shepherd.
This child had wisely hid in some boxes, but came forward, after all the others were killed, and pleaded with them to not kill him. One heartless thug picked him up by his feet and slammed his head against the wall. When a mail carrier found the bodies that same evening of the murders, he rode straight away to Petronillo Rios and then rode on to Monterey and reported the murders to the military governor, Colonel Richard B. Mason.
These murderers couldn't find where Reed had buried the treasure of gold, not being smart enough to find out before killing Reed and the others. After taking any valuables they could find, including William Reed's prized navy pea coat, these black-hearted brigands left the scene of their massacre to try to find the gold at the ranchero of Petronillo Rios, with plans to murder him too.
They decided not to kill Rios, however, because Rios had armed Indians working for him. After they left Rios' ranchero, one of these sharp-eyed Indian employees found one of Mrs. Reed's earrings where the brigands had spent the night at Rios' ranchero, and brought it to Petronillo Rios. Uh oh!
Meanwhile the native American, John, peeled off from the group of murderers, at this point, perhaps wanting to be in charge of his own escape. The only one who escaped without consequences from this particular crime was John. However, if he continued in this murderous life-style, he was probably killed by someone else. There was always after-life consequences in the spirit world for dastardly deeds done in this world to face.
On December 6th, John M. Price, who was the justice of the peace/mayor also discovered the bodies and bloody mess at Mission San Miguel, along with Petronillo Rios who had come to see if they were all right. Price assigned Trifon Garcia to be in charge of catching the murderers. A posse was formed and the killers were hunted down and turned over to legal authorities in Mexican-run Santa Barbara. The three, surviving killers gave witness to what had happened at Reed's Mission San Miguel Inn. They signed their confessions and were given the death penalty by hanging.
However, since California was now a military territory of the United States, the Mexican legal authorities in Santa Barbara sent the case to the American Colonel Mason who was located in Monterey. He honored their decision to give the death penalty and sent Lieutenant Edward O. C. Ord, of the Third Artillery, and nine soldiers to Santa Barbara to carry out the sentence, military-style.
Five men of this unholy murderous group of thugs had an end of life experience that wasn't a pleasant one; the murdered family, their guests and servants got their justice, with the demise of 5 of the six killers. Peter Raymond was killed in the shoot-out, and Sam Bernard drowned in the river during the capture by the posse made up of a thirty-seven member semi-vigilante group. Though sentenced to hang, Joseph Lynch, Peter Quin and Peter Remer were shot to death, courtesy of the nine American soldier firing squad on December 28th, 1848; just twenty-three days after their murderous crimes were committed.
After the mission buildings were cleaned up and all the decomposing bodies and body parts were buried in a mass grave, (made up of two grave plots), by Petronillo Rios and others, in the Mission San Miguel Graveyard, life and business continued for the living. The mission rooms were converted to commercial endeavors; such as a hotel, saloon, and retail shops. You can bet they had security in place.
Just eleven years later in 1859, President Buchanan gave the mission buildings and the surrounding property of Mission San Miguel back to the Catholic Church. By 1878, the Parish of San Miguel was founded, and a diocesan priest began services again at Mission San Miguel, after the ruins were rebuilt and there was a suitable sanctuary once again.
Fifty years later, in 1928, Mission San Miguel was once again a Franciscan church, administered by Franciscan Friars from the Province of Santa Barbara.
Seventy-five years later, in 2003, Mission San Miguel was hit with massive damage from the San Simeon earthquake, whose epicenter was just thirty-four miles away. Though the devastation done to the mission buildings closed the entire Mission San Miguel complex to the public and the congregation, there was immediate action taken to start the long road back to rebuilding and retrofitting the buildings and sanctuary by a determined congregation and friends of the mission. I bet a spectral Franciscan Friar was rooting them on!
Success came in steps. In 2005, the Mission Gift Shop was reopened. The Museum opened three years to the day of the earthquake, on December 22nd, 2006. Finally, in 2009, on September 29th; the Feast Day of St. Michael the Archangel, a dedication Mass was celebrated in the sanctuary! Three days later, a joyous public came together to mark the reopening of this beloved community piece of history, Mission San Miguel.
Despite what may happen in its future, Mission San Miguel has the legal protection of being both a State and National Landmark, and a long history of rebuilding and surviving disasters because of not only the will of the people who have worshiped here, but their leaders inspired by devotion, faith and courage.
Return to top
Inside the Mission San Miguel Graveyard.
People who serve others in this world, sometimes are not ready to retire when they pass on to the spirit world. Sometimes they are drawn back to this special place when restoration takes place in the structure.
( Presidio Chapel and Rectory * Collingwood Art Center * St Louis Cathedral-Spanish Monk-Pere Antoine * The Alamo - The Monk )
A Franciscan Friar apparently is still here, perhaps keeping an eye on his church and the people who worship here. Perhaps he was one of the Friars who are buried in the church sanctuary.
People buried in a mass grave, or in unmarked graves can be restless, wanting to be remembered with a headstone, or proper identification.
( Sacramento Cemetery-Cholera victims * Western Cemetery * Liberty Hall-Mrs. Varick * General Wayne Inn * The Alamo - Mass grave )
There were four men, two women, four children and one unborn, near-term baby murdered and buried in a large communal grave, near the back door of the sacristy in the graveyard.
People who die brutal deaths are taken from life often before they are ready to go to the other side, and they can't let go of all the suffering, pain and scary trauma.
( Lizzie Borden Bed and breakfast * King's Tavern * Liberty Hall - Opera singer * Carnton Mansion * Joshua Ward House-victims of Sheriff George )
All of the murder victims experienced the terror of the attack, the hunt and the brutal death via forced trauma, by an ax, cutlass and knife all done without mercy.
Women who die in childbirth, die from self-neglect, die because of trauma, or at the hands of another, still mourn not being with their children, and continue to try to find them in this world.
( The Infirmary for Women * Fort Leavenworth-Catherine * Deerfield Burial Mound-murdered, pregnant maid, Eunice Williams * Maysville Hospital )
People who commit terrible cruelty or brutally murder others without any feelings are sometimes grounded at the scene of the crime.
( Portland Shanghai Tunnels * Lizzie Borden Bed and Breakfast * Joshua Ward House - Sheriff George * The Comedy Store )
Personal experiences suggest that perhaps some of the killers are doomed to relive their murdering ways and fruitless hunt for gold.
Return to top
Entity of a Franciscan Friar
He has been seen by witnesses, happily going about his business in the Mission Museum buildings. Perhaps he came back when Mission San Miguel was restored again as a church.
Entity of the 15 year old murdered girl.
Sounds of muffled screams of the girl have been heard during the late evening hours - near the chapel. She still relives her death.
Entity of William Reed - dressed in his winter navy pea coat.
A visitor saw a see-through man step out of the southern wall of the mission, wearing his winter pea coat that he adored.
Entity of Mrs. William Reed
During the day, Mrs. William Reed has been seen going about her business in a white dress, perhaps remembering all of her good memories of this place.
In the wee hours of the morning, her apparition, covered in blood, searches the mission grounds for her murdered children, crying, perhaps trying to find their graves. Perhaps she doesn't know what happened to them, but suspects they were killed too. Not knowing what happened to them must be an emotional torture that keeps her here.
Entity of the Reeds' Four Year old Son
This entity of the boy has been seen around the mission, playing, and perhaps looking for his family.
Entity of little Indian Boy - grandson of the Indian shepherd.
Likes to appear to children:
A little three year old girl told her grandmother who was shopping in the gift shop, that she saw a little Indian boy with a large "owie" on his neck and head.
Entities of the Murderers - Not sure if it is just residual energy, or spirit-people.
Perhaps the ones who died in the fight with the posse; Peter Raymond and Sam Bernard. They had no chance to confess and didn't receive judgement.
Are said to be grounded at the mission and are still looking for the treasure in gold that they killed so many for the first time around, while still alive in this world.
Sounds of their running and rummaging through items throughout the mission have been heard by witnesses during the late evening hours.
Return to top