Haunted Dwelling — Amstel House
2 East 4th Street
New Castle, Delaware 19720
Web Link * (302) 322-2794
Located not far from the Battery Park home, the two grand brick houses that make up Amstel House face each other from either side of 4th Street in the city of New Castle.
The Amstel House (Museum) was built in the 17th century by Dr. John Finney, and his son, David Finney built his home in 1683 across the street from the Amstel House. An underground tunnel was built between the two homes. Both men were well off and put some of their wealth into their homes.
It is believed that the same ghostly presence that haunts the Amstel House also haunts the David Finney Inn, which means the apparition is probably a family member of the Finneys.
The third floor of both houses seems to be the favorite place for this presence, who opens and closes windows and doors, and moves objects across the floor and through the air.