Schifferstadt Architectural Museum is located
in historic Frederick, at the end of Exit 14 off of Northbound Route 15. Approximately
50 minutes from Baltimore and Washington DC, and 30 minutes from Gettysburg and
Address: 1110 Rosemont Avenue, Highway 15, Exit 14, Frederick,
301-663-3885 * 301-663-8693
German Colonial House and gardens is a museum which was the home of a German immigrant
couple, Joseph and Elias Brunner who were farmers in colonial times, and built
the larger stone house. It is an excellent, well-preserved example of German Colonial
architecture which has inspired the name of the museum which now occupies the
There are three connected buildings on the property. The small brick
summer kitchen and bake oven, attached to the two story brick house, were the
additions made to the original much bigger stone house, sometime in the middle
of the 19th century, replacing a log cabin. The brick house addition today is
now a gift shop and an arts-and-crafts store.
The bigger, original 2 story
home built by the Brunners has two foot thick sandstone walls, with hand-hewn
beams which are pinned together with wooden pegs. The reinforced arches made of
stone located above the windows and doors found on the first floor provide solid
structural support for the outside walls above them. Characteristics of the German
colonial style, such as kick-up and flared eaves, 'wishbone" chimneys, paling
insulated interior walls and ceilings and exposed half-timbering are found in
this solidly built German farm house.
The original, perfectly preserved
cast iron five plate stove on display is dated 1756, and bears the original inscription
in German, 'Where your treasure is, there is also your heart."
enclosed winder staircase leads up to the second floor. The doors to the rooms
are described as being deeply paneled "cross and Bible" doors with the
original elaborately hand-wrought iron latches and locks.
is a lovely, authentic 18th century German kitchen garden and fruit orchard which
has herbs, plant and fruit trees that the Brunners would've grown on their farm,
and commonly available during this time period. All is maintained by volunteers.
museum offers a window into what life was like in the 18th century, and is fascinating
to see all the artifacts, the displays and the gardens, especially the fruit trees
which are rarely seen today.
Schifferstadt Architectural Museum is owned
and maintained by the Landmarks Foundation, since July of 1974, a non-profit organization,
which is dedicated to the preservation of natural and historic landmarks, sites,
structures and architectural design.
Open for tours: April - November, Wed.
& Sun; by appointment./Thurs., Friday, Sat: 12:00 PM-4:00 PM
Many Germans immigrated to the colonies with
the hope of being able to buy their own land, becoming successful farmers and
enjoying the fruits of their labor. The The story of the Brunner family began in 1728,
when Joseph Brunner's son, Jacob immigrated to Philadelphia, PA in 1728 with his
family and brother-in-law. His parents, Joseph & Elias Brunner and their children
followed. Then, everyone moved to Frederick, Maryland where building a home was
cheaper, and it was possible to buy land, a dream which had inspired them to leave
the old country and come to the colonies. Owning land meant having the opportunity
to be successful and live a good life for oneself and one's family.
Brunner eventually was able to buy 303 acres of virgin timberland and built his
homestead there, naming his farm Schifferstadt after his hometown of Scheverstadt
located in southeastern Germany.
Joseph Brunner probably built a log cabin
at first, until his farm became successful. He then built a warmer house of stone,
from the stone quarry in Walkersville, which showed his community that he had
evolved into success and had a stable living.
Various members of the Brunner
clan lived in this stone home until around the 1850s. Eventually, it became a
rental property which began its long slide into disrepair.
Over the years,
most of its 303 acres were sold. By 1972, the building had deteriorated and was
nearly torn down to make room for a 20th century gas station! Fortunately for
us all, The Frederick County Landmarks Foundation raised part of the money to
buy it, with the Maryland Historical Trust contributing $60,000 dollars in form
of an interest free loan to help rescue the property from its date with the wrecking
HISTORY OF MANIFESTATIONS:
renovation and restoration of their beloved home started the hauntings of the
Brunners, who were pleased with the wonderful job which was done! Someone took
as much pride in their home and gardens as they once had!!!
entities of Joseph and Elias Brunner, the original owners, are still in residence.
Their voices speaking German/English can be heard throughout
Their footsteps are heard by the living all over the house, upstairs
and downstairs, as they putter around the home, going about their business.
This stone farm house
was the dream home of the Brunners, a symbol of what they had worked for all their
lives. They are happy and content, willing to share their home with the living.