National House Inn
102 S. Parkview
The National House Inn can be found near the corner of S. Parkview and the main drag Bus.94 hwy., overlooking the Fountain Circle in the middle of picturesque Marshall. The Inn is just west of Marshall's business district. One follows the traffic circle around the fountain to arrive at the Inn. MAP
This well-built, handsome, two story 1835 brick and wood beam, gabled building with sitting porches was constructed to be an inn, a stage stop-over hotel, located half way between Detroit and Chicago. It currently is a fabulous bed and breakfast inn which has earned top recognition, offering beautiful accommodations, authentic historical surroundings, great food and restful respite, as well as other surprises.
The lovely 16 bedrooms have been decorated in either the 19th century Victorian or in the vintage Country style. Antiques are found throughout the inn. The dining room is decorated in 19th century country charm, including painted woodwork, antique oak dining tables and chairs. Heating the downstairs entryway, is a majestic bean and brick open hearth fireplace. There are several parlor sitting rooms located upstairs for use by the guests.
170 years ago, Colonel Andrew Mann built this structure in 1835, opening the Mann Hotel, serving stage coach travelers on their way to either Chicago or Detroit. Historically, the hotel served as a meeting place for political meetings and social and community gatherings. It changed names several times, being called The Acker House and The Facey House.
In 1844, the Michigan Central Railroad came through Marshall, and the hotel became a favorite place to stay for railroad travelers. The hotel was also a stop in another kind of railroad. Sometime before the Civil War, a hidden room was constructed in the basement, and was used as a place to hide run away slaves on the underground railroad, which took slaves to freedom in Canada.
This establishment was a railroad hotel for 30 more years, until 1878, when the owners lost most of their customers to sleeper cars on the railroad trains. This still solid building was transformed into a windmill and wagon factory.
Around the turn-of-the-century, in 1902, a Dr. Dean bought the building and transformed it into 8 luxury apartments, calling them Dean's Flats.
During Prohibition, the hidden room was discovered and used as a place to sell illegal booze and consume it, under the noses of Marshall authorities.
By 1976, these luxury apartments and the building which housed them needed badly to be renovated. Four dedicated restorationists, with the help of volunteers, worked very hard to restore the building back into its original form; an 19th century, country inn.
HISTORY OF MANIFESTATIONS:
After the restoration was finished and the antiques were brought into the inn, paranormal activity began.
Nothing stirs up entities like renovation and restoration construction.
A full, life-like apparition of a woman dressed in red appears before guests and staff, going about her business,roaming around the halls upstairs and in the downstairs area.
Yes indeed! The paranormal investigators from Spirit Society, did an investigation of The National House Inn and came up with some interesting findings, pointing to paranormal activity.