The city of Columbus is located in
east central Mississippi, at the junction of U.S. Highways 45 and 82.
It is a city situated by the Tombigee River, just a few miles from the
Mississippi state line.
HiThe story of Columbus:
It made it's early money from shipping
cotton from the various plantations up the river. It became the capital
of Mississippi during the Civil War. It has done a great job renovating
its old antebellum mansions, which are open to the public during the Spring
1) Weaver/Errolton Mansion - Located
just north of Columbus, in the outskirts.
Built around 153 years ago by a rich
merchant, William B. Weaver, this top drawer 1848 Italianate mansion has
"six soaring fluted columns, and delicate arches across the roof
of the front verandah." The inside is just as glorious. There are
twin parlors that showcase dazzling chandeliers that reflect in room mirrors.
The ceiling is decorated with lovely plaster medallions of acanthus leaves.
Servant's houses were also built on the property. When finished, it was
considered one of the finest mansions in town.
Weaver's daughter, Nellie Weaver,
was an outgoing, talented woman who lived during the time period just
before the Civil War to the 1930s. She fell in love with a fireman, Charles
Tucker, and married him in 1878. She was so blissfully happy, that she
carved her name, Nellie, on the window glass of the south parlor. When
a few years had gone by, after their daughter was born, Charles left them
and disappeared. To support herself and her daughter, she started a small
private school. Because of a lack of money, this once grand mansion slowly
slipped into disrepair. Nellie lived there happily until she was eighty,
when she died do to burns she received when her dress caught fire from
sparks coming from the fireplace in the rear parlor.
The mansion was rescued from its state
of disrepair when the Batemans bought the home, in 1950.
Fortunately, renovation of this once
beautiful home started in the early '50s by Mrs. Bateman and was completed
by the mid - fifties. Sometime during the restoration period, a workman
leaned a ladder up against the window that Nellie has etched her name
in, and accidentally broke it. The window was replaced with another pane
A) Before the window had been broken,
Mrs. Bateman herself had seen the original etching of Nellie's name in
the old, original window pane, at the start of the home's restoration
process. Some years later, after the mansion had been returned to its
former glory, Mrs. Bateman started to add her own touches inside. She
put a lovely sofa under a window in the south parlor. One day, when she
was about to close curtains, because of bright sun was shining on the
sofa, she suddenly noticed something that hadn't been there the other
day. In the replaced window pane, she saw the name, "Nellie"
once again scratched in the same place, in the same handwriting that the
original scratching had been in. It had been done from the inside. Many
think that the spirit of Nellie is letting the Batemans know how happy
she is that they restored her beloved home.
Is Nellie still there? It is assumed
that she is, because she loved her house, and never wanted to leave it.
2) Waverly Mansion - located 6 miles
south of Columbus, on Mullen's Bluff on the Tombigee River, between West
Point and Columbus.
This "magnificent mansion,"
was built in 1852 by Col. George Hampton Young, who raised a large family
of 6 boys and 4 girls in this grand place, all of which reached adulthood.
Interestingly, in the parlor there is a wedding alcove, where several
of his kids were married. Waverly was the social center of the neighborhood,
and weekly dances were held in its large, spacious ballroom.
During the Civil War and the "turbulent
years" of the reconstruction period, many homeless families found
a place to stay at Waverly Mansion. From 1913 - 1962, the mansion was
abandoned, unoccupied by the living, but was a very active place for
the resident ghosts.
In 1962, the Snow family bought
the old mansion. The dense undergrowth in front of the place had to
be hacked away so they could find the sagging front porch. The Snows
renovated the mansion to its former glorious state.
There are many stories about these
resident ghosts, who are all friendly, cordial, with good Southern manners,
never bothering the living.
A) Mirrors that are found inside the
mansion sometimes show the likeness of Col. George Hampton Young.
B) Over the years when the house was
unoccupied, dozens of other apparitions were seen.
C) Major John Pytchlyn was buried
in 1835, close to Waverly Mansion. When he was orphaned at a young age,
he was taken in and raised by the Choctaw Indians. His ghost is seen riding
a stallion bareback near the estate grounds.
D) Faint music and gentle laughter
coming from the ballroom has been heard by various people.
E) Little ghost girl, looking for
1) Two years after moving in, in 1962,
Mrs. Snow was upstairs, when she heard a young, frightened voice of a
girl, about 4 or 5 years old, calling "Mamma!" She walked across
the upstairs balcony, looking down to the floor below, expecting to see
one of her own children. She heard just a sweet voice, but no one was
there. For five years Mrs. Snow heard this distraught, unhappy little
voice, calling for her Mamma.
2) This little girl ghost followed
Mrs. Snow about the house, calling out to her, just to let her know that
she was still there. Sometimes she cried at night. Mrs. Snow's children
would come to her bedroom, and ask if the little girl was ok.
3) On a four poster bed, in an upstairs
room, the Snows often found the impression of this little girls body on
top of the bedspread, usually during the summer months in the afternoon,
like she was taking a nap.
4) One day, while Mrs. Snow was working
in the kitchen, this little girl ghost stood real close to her, and cried
out in distress and pain, "Mama, Mama, Mama!" Mrs. Snow asked
her tenderly what the trouble was. She didn't hear from her again, but
the child ghost is still around. Mrs. Snow keeps her bed made up, so if
she ever needs to rest, she has a place.
A big yes is in order!
3) Hickory Sticks Mansion - Located
on 7th Street, in Columbus
It was built in the 1820s, around
the original log cabin room. There is still an upstairs room from this
original home in the present mansion. The first mayor of Columbus, Robert
Hayden owned the mansion in the 1840s. He took great care of the place,
and was the one who planted the vineyards on the grounds and dug the cellar.
Around the second week of February or
Valentine's Day, The Ivy family is treated to an annual inspection of
a ghost of a former owner, who has slow, ponderous steps of a heavy old
man, usually late at night. Year after year, the ghost calmly takes the
same route. He comes up from the wine cellar, through the hall, past the
master bedroom, and then goes up the stairs to the old log cabin room,
closing the door. He never comes down again.
4) Temple Heights Mansion
This antebellum mansion was built
in 1837 by General Richard Brownrigg. The mansion was bought by the Harris
family in the 1840s. One of the Harris daughters, Mary, was married in
the parlor. She lived there with her husband for only 3 months before
she died. In 1887, a Methodist minister, J.H. Kennebrew and his family
bought the mansion. His daughter, Elizabeth, never married, and lived
in this mansion until she died. She became a bit peculiar, and used mercurochrome
for lipstick and rouge, and chalk dust for facial powder. It is currently
a private residence, but is opened up for tourists during the Spring -
One or two ghosts reside peacefully
with the owners, though they inadvertently have given visitors and guests
an occasional thrill.
A) During the month of July of 1991,
tourists came for an open house tour. In the middle of the master bedroom,
Miss Elizabeth appeared before them, as a good hostess must be cordial.
Being a minister's daughter, she was used to entertaining people from
B) There is also a pleasant, but
noisy ghost as well. The owners think this ghost may be that of Mary
Harris. Doors have been known to open and close by themselves, and sounds
of voices float from empty rooms.
C) An overnight guest got a thrill
when she awoke in the night, and saw through her open second floor bedroom
door a bright ball of mist cross the hallway and float up some stairs.
D) Another guest took polaroid pictures
of their sofa, that happened to have the family cat sitting on it, looking
at something next to it. When the pictures quickly developed, a similar
bright ball of mist was sitting on the sofa next to the cat.
Yes, Elizabeth and Mary occasionally
make an appearance.
5) Wisteria Place - Located in Columbus
This mansion was built by William
R. Cannon, in 1858. He only lived there for 4 years before he died. Two
other deaths happened at Wisteria Place over the years as well.
Over the years, since the 1970s,
during the day light hours, various members of the Wallace family each
have seen a man, wearing a white shirt rushing up the walk, past the east
kitchen window, towards the back door. He seems to be on an urgent errand.
Each family member had rushed to the back door and opened it quickly to
see nothing or nobody there.
No one knows for sure who it is haunting
the place, but some think that it could be William R. Cannon, concerned
about his mansion. Perhaps he died before completing some unfinished business
concerning his pride and joy, Wisteria Place.
Photos by Ebicom.net and media.homestore.com and Columbus-ms.org.