(Back to Ohio Haunted Index)
Fort Hayes School –
Place — The Fort Hayes Metropolitan Education
Fort Hayes Arts and Academics High School
546 Jack Gibbs Blvd
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Fort Hayes School web site
The Fort Hayes Metropolitan Education
Center can be found on the southeast corner of the 77 acre Fort
Hayes Army Reserve compound, which is on the section of land which
is open to the public.Ê It is on Gibbs Boulevard, near the
intersection of Gibbs Blvd and Cleveland Avenue
Fort Hayes School on Mapquest
The Fort Hayes Metropolitan Education
Center, which is made up of The Battelle Youth Science Program, The
Career Center, and The Fort Hayes Arts and Academic High School, is
housed in several 1864- to middle 20th century brick and stone
buildings, which were built to last. These older buildings are now
put to good use for the students attending The Fort Hayes Arts and
Academic High School and the Career Center. Other buildings were
built in the early 20th century, and newer buildings recently
constructedÊsit on land long used by Fort Hayes over the
The Fort Hayes Metropolitan Education
Center mission is to create expectations of excellence among
students through challenging and collaborative learning, and by
blending the arts, academics, and career programs.
The Fort Hayes Arts and Academic High
School focuses on a rigorous college preparatory program and a rich
immersion in the arts (music, dance, theatre, and visual art).
The Career Center offers students half-day
vocational courses in: health/medical programs, business computer
information systems, and the visual and performing arts for the
What is now known as Fort Hayes Army
Reserve Base, located on 77 acres, originally began in 1861, as a
Civil War armory and arsenal post. There was a great need for a
federal arsenal to store and repair Ordinance Corps arms and to
equip Ohio regiments called to duty during the Civil War.
This post which was called, The Columbus Arsenal, was built on a
large field of oak stumps, planned by Captain J. W. Todd and
built under the direction of Captain T. C. Bradford, known as
"Father" of Fort Hayes. It wasn't fully completed until 1865,
though it was receiving, storing and issuing the elements of battle
in large amounts. After the war, they received a lot of used guns
and other military weapons, which were fixed or used for
Post's Principal facility: "Store House." -
2 story building made of sandstone and brick, and timber floors
(50,000 board feet of ash). The copper and cast iron cornices were
made in Cincinnati.
Tower: Had wooden steps, a hoisting apparatus and an elevator to
move supplies among the floors of the arsenal.
Shot Tower: Building 62: Molten iron
and lead was rolled down a funnel into ice water, which created the
perfect Civil War canon ball.
After the Civil War, The Fort Hayes
Columbus Arsenal was beautified with trees and shrubs, and became
more ordered and regulated. From 1875-1890, it's use was expanded
when it was transferred to the General Recruiting Service, as a
training base for recruits. Four companies of Cadre were organized
The Spanish American War inspired new buildings and more recruits
in residence. The Store House or Arsenal or Main Building, was remodeled to
house 500 new recruits. New buildings added to the post include: new
barracks, officers' houses, reception center, mess building, drill
hall, new guardhouse and bandstand.
By 1900, the post gained 8 acres, and continued to grow in
importance, becoming The Columbus Recruiting Depot of two infantry
companies and six recruiting companies, and a band was stationed
there as well. Electricity was installed in 1908, and more
new buildings were built, reflecting the depot's growth in
population and importance. The old headquarters building was torn
down in 1910. A hospital, PX, new officer's quarters,
non commissioned officers' quarters, a
bakery, a laundry, a warehouse and several more barracks were added
to the Columbus Recruiting Depot.
The activity and volume of recruits passing through The Columbus
Recruiting Depot began to jump after the Selective Military
Conscription Act was signed into law in 1917, during WW1. The
old barns and stables were transformed into garages and repair
After WW2, The Columbus Recruiting Depot
was renamed Fort Hayes in honor of Governor of Ohio, Rutherford B.
Hayes in 1922, and it became the home of the Fifth Corps.
During WW 2, there were 2000 officers and men stationed here, until
1944. In 1946, The Ohio National guard began to use Fort
Hayes though Fort Hayes continued to be a training and induction
center through the Viet Nam War.
The Army Reserve and the Guard of Engineers were located here
as well. It was used by State and Federal Governments for
both military and civilian uses.
In 1976, Fort Hayes sold fifty acres of its base land to the
Columbus City Schools for a dollar. In 1988, three new educational
programs opened their doors: a career center program, The
Battelle Youth Science Program, and an arts and academic high
"The Fort Hayes Career Center component
offers vocational courses in health/medical services, data
processing, commercial art and photography.
"The Battelle Youth Science Program
provided advanced laboratory and academic courses in math and
"The Fort Hayes Arts and Academic High
School, the newest component, focuses on excellence in performance
– performance in a rigorous college preparatory program and a
rich immersion in the art areas of music, dance, theater, and
HISTORY OF MANIFESTATIONS:
While The Fort Hayes Metropolitan Education
Center inherited and got to make good use of the well-built
buildings used during Columbus Arsenal/Fort Hayes history, and
newly constructed buildings as well, this seat of learning also
inherited the resident ghosts and
spirits who were alive during the time these buildings and this
land were used by the army/military
personnel for a variety of reasons, similar to other historical
military forts, which we have written about on this website.
Mackinac * Fort
Delaware * Fort
Leavenworth * Fort
Lewis * Fort
Vancouver * Dayton
Airforce Museum * Fort
A soldier, Nicholas Hartzel, was
killed by an exploding cannon, which was part of a huge
cannon salute honoring Abraham Lincoln on the day of his funeral.
It is rumored that Nicholas was in love with an officer's
daughter. It is suspected that this officer knew that
the cannon was defective.
Like a lot of Military installations, entities of past soldiers still are enlisted
members of the military, despite dying in accidents, suicide,
disease, and from wounds received.
Many fatal accidents happened in The Shot Tower building.
The Shot Tower - Many entities haunt this
building. Students are scared to go to the top floor, because of
what they may see there.
The Old Hospital Building - Used for classrooms
||The living have heard the cries of the
dying and badly injured.
||Entities in nurse uniforms have been seen, going about their
||Entities in soldier uniforms also make their appearance
The Science Building - The old Mess
||People has seen entities leaving the
building with food, and fade away as they cross the grassy area in
front of the Mess Hall.
Many faculty members who have stayed after
hours have said they witnessed Civil War entities still wandering
around the old buildings and grounds nearby, perhaps going about
their business they were unable to finish because of a sudden,
unexpected, sometimes unpleasant end.
During the school hours, in the new buildings, students participating in the various programs have
witnessed lockers with a mind of their own; swinging open and
slamming shut at will.
Footsteps in an empty hallway or staircase have unnerved some of
Still others, sense an unseen presence keeping them company.
People have the feeling that someone is following or watching their
People have reported hearing soft, indistinguishable whispering.
Entities of past military personnel keep an
eye on the living, perhaps curious about the wonderful learning
activities which take place here. They get their chuckles by
slamming and opening lockers, watching the living in all their
Investigations page at Top-Org.net
* "Haunted in Ohio" on Yahoo! Voices * "Backers see Metro High School as science hub" by Dan Eaton at BizJournals.com – Columbus Business First